Friday, April 30, 2010

More shifts and Inga Pirca


These past few days have been great!! I worked a shift in Cunas on Wednesday and got to feed/change/play with the 10 day old baby we just got! I fell in love with him... he's tiny and the clothes they have there are for 5 months and older so he's just drowning in them. When I was changing him, he decided that he wasn't done yet and kinda shot me in the face, but it was nothing a little water couldn't fix haha. After helping with all the little babies, I went out with the 2 year olds and we taught them about circles and the primary colors. They are all so smart! None of them really know how to play with toys, so we have been showing them how to build lego towers and such.. Anna Lou built a perfect tower and I almost started crying! I feel like their proud mother anytime they do something good. Thursday we went on a field trip to Inga Pirca. Inga Pirca is a site in the tops of the mountains in Ecuador with ruins from the Incas and Canaris. It only has the bases of most of the structures because they were destroyed. The Cunaris were there first, and they built all their structures in a circular shape because they believed it would keep in the positive energy. Then the Incas came in and took over, but they built square structures, so there are a lot of half circle/ half square structures. The drive there was about two hours and GORGEOUS. It is so green and hilly, and it is in the top of the mountains so there are amazing clouds all the time. The people there live so simply- making a living by farming. They all seem so carefree and I found myself jealous of them. After Inca Pirca we went to a Cathedral in a city about an hour away from Cuenca. It is built into the mountain side and is amazing! Today I had my shifts in Casas and OSSO Allegria. Casas went so well. It was really nice out so we got to play in the park. The kids like saying my name just for fun now (Lanita!) so I've learned to only respond when there is a certain tone in their voice. It is amazing to me how much I already love these kids and I've only been here one week! I can't help but wonder when I'm holding them where their parents are and why they can't take care of and love these amazing children! My second shift was in Allegria (my first shift there) Allegria is home to Thomas, Manuel, Christian, Aldo and Adriana. They range from 8 months to 3 and a half years, and all have different mental disabilities. I think this has been my favorite site so far, even though it was just my first time. The kids are always so happy and loving! I love being around babies because I feel like they are so close to heaven. My kids in Allegria are the same, if not more. Adriana called me Mama, it broke my heart because these children never have a steady mother figure in their life, but I realize that I am so lucky to be able to be there mother figure for a few months. I started Spanish lessons this week! We have them here in our house with Enricque. Its a very beginning class, but its good for me to review the vocabulary. It has been raining here for the past 3 hours and I am loving it!! I haven't uploaded pictures from Allegria onto my computer yet, but I will post pictures as soon as I do so you can see my sweet kids:)
Also, me and all the other girls here have been noticing that our English is not very proper anymore. Trying to speak/think in Spanish all the time is taking a toll on my English! So disregard if some of my sentences kinda don't make sense:)

No comments:

Post a Comment